From Pyrenees to the sea
Five stages join the high mountain valleys charm with the Mediterranean Sea
A route from Camprodon to Collioure with amazing crests, forests and charming villages
From the Camprodon valley to the cliffs of the Mediterranean coast, this route in five stages connects the high valleys of the Eastern Pyrenees with the sea. Along the route, we will walk through an exuberant variety of landscapes, from high-mountain terrain to coastal ecosystems, through the lush woods of the hills of Vallespir, la Garrotxa, and l’Empordà, trekking alternatively on either side of the Pyrenees, north and south. This route blends nature with history, as one of the most poignant episodes of the Spanish Civil War took place in this part of the Pyrenees, the Republican withdrawal in 1939. We will be following on the footsteps of the exiles, using the very same points to cross the mountains.
Route and profile
This 112 km and five days route joins Camprodon with Cotlliure, two charming villages set in two contrasting landscapes: from El Ripollès, in the mountains, to the Red coast, among cliffs and streets bursting with light and colour. Along the route, we will enjoy several different types of woodlands, panoramic views between the high peaks of the Pyrenees and the Mediterranean plains, at both sides of the range. There are deep middle mountain regions awaiting, between the Camprodon valley, Alt Vallespir, Alta Garrotxa, Alt Empordà and Roussillon. Enjoy!
1. Camprodon 2. Montfalgars 3. Coral Sanctuary 4. Cabrenç Towers 5. Saint Laurent de Cerdans 6. Roc de Frausa 7. Les Illes 8. Le Perthús 9. Col de l’Ouillat 10. Puig Neulós 11. Pic de Sallafort 12. Collioure
DETAILS AND OPERATION
From the Pyrenees until the sea is a self-guided trek, that everyone can do on his own, in which we help you booking every lodgement, and hand you in all the information required for walking in a safe and comfortable way. Straightaway we answer the most common questions
The route ‘From the Pyrenees to the Sea’ takes us through the same territory where the Republican exodus took place. We will be following the steps of the escape routes of the exiles, and see the most relevant landmarks of that historical event. And all of it, inside astonishing protected natural areas at both sides of the boundary, one after the other.
- Two topographic maps by Mont Editorial.
- Un libro descriptivo de la ruta en formato digital
- A “From the Pyrenees until the Sea” exclusive Tuga Wear technical t-shirt.
- A Lurbel headband with visor.
- The pass card to be punched at each stopping point.
- A GPS tracks.
- A ticket to Exile Memorial Museum in La Jonquera
- Other small complimentary gifts.