Details and operation
Consult here all the doubts that may arise to come to make the route
Details and operation
WHAT DOES TORB MEAN?
The blizzard (torb in Catalan) is the strong wind of the Pyrenees region, which raises and swirls the snow, so that the visibility decreases significantly, and the feeling of cold is accentuated exponentially. It is basically a winter phenomenon.
WHAT IS THE TREK REFUGIS DEL TORB?
Refugis del Torb is a self-guided high and middle mountain route, open to everyone. A Pas d’Isard takes charge of booking accommodation and provide all the required information and other necessary services for a safe, comfortable trek.
WHAT ARE THE CHOICES TORB STANDARD AND TORB ALTITUDE?
This trek offers two options: the Torb Standard is the 5-day circle between the Núria valley and the Canigó massif, passing through Coma de Vaca, Ulldeter, Merialles, Mentet and Carançà. On the other hand, the Torb Altitude proposes 7 days and 7 peaks, doing the stages of the Torb Standard, but climbing a peak every day, and adding the ascents to the two most emblematic peaks of the Eastern Pyrenees: the Puigmal (2,910 m ) and the Canigó (2,784 m).
ARE THERE OTHER OPTIONS BEYOND THESE TWO? OPTIONS FOR ALL TASTES!
- Want to walk even more? The journey can be extended adding variants, such as the descent to Les Conques between Ulldeter and Merialles, the Puigmal circle sleeping in the Corral Blanc refuge (Planoles), or the Canigó circle sleeping in Cortalets.
- Do you have few days? If you only have two or three days we also have some good proposals to offer you, dividing the main circle of the journey into two. Ask us!
- Do you prefer to do shorter stages? Some stages allow to be divided into two, sleeping in places like Coma de Vaca, Les Conques or Pi de Conflent. Ask us for advice and we’ll arrange it. We could call it the Torb Slow option.
- Holidays after walking? If you want to stay and relax in the area after the trek, we can offer you accommodation in Ribes de Freser (Vall de Ribes – El Ripollès) or in Setcases (Vall de Camprodon – El Ripollès), from where there are great tourism possibilities in the area. Ask us for advice!
DATES WHEN TO GO?
The season of the trek will be open from June to October, the months in which shelters are open and snow has disappeared.
Accommodation along the trek includes mountain refuges, hostels and a gîte d’étape. If you want to rest in a village before or after walking, you can stay in Ribes de Freser or Setcases, from where you can get to know the charming villages of these beautiful Pyrenean valleys.
Ten days before starting, we will send the welcome packs to the address of the person in charge of the group, which include:
- Map-booklet from Editorial Alpina 1:40.000. Special edition for Refugis del Torb
- Exclusive buff from this Route
- GPS track
- Control card to be marked at every lodging
- Exclusive T-shirt from Refugis del Torb
The whole trek is marked on the spot. The explanations of every stage provide accurate detail of the mark colour(s), which are not always the same.
MOUNTAIN ACCIDENT INSURANCE
- Valid insurance is mandatory. If you belong to a hiking federation, and your insurance covers the area of this itinerary (inside France), you do not need to take any further measures. When you make your reservation, indicate that you do not need insurance, at your own responsibility.
- The price of the insurance we provide is €3.00/day, and it covers rescue and transport in case of accident, healthcare cover for a whole year, as well as other expenses.
This journey does not allow the luggage transport because most accommodations are very far from any access by car.
YOU PREFER TO WALK WITH A MOUNTAIN GUIDE?
- If your group requires the services of a guide, for safety, expertise, and information, we have guides available upon request.
- You can also join a guided open group, a good opportunity to meet new people. Consult us for available dates.
Types of hikers
TREKKING WITH CHILDREN
We offer reduced fees for children. Consult us for a quote.
If you want to make the trip easy, in a few stages or even without spending the night, write to us or call us and we will arrange the combination of accommodation that suits you best.
HIKING WITH DOGS
Please note that the regulations of the French Nature Reserves prohibit the entry of dogs, and they must be tied inside the Capçaleres del Ter and Freser Natural Park.
GETTING TO THE STARTING POINT BY CAR
There is no road to the Núria valley, so we need to take the rack train Cremallera in Ribes de Freser. If you don’t have time to pick it up, you can sleep in Ribes and pick it up the next day early in the morning. The other option is to walk up to Núria, which adds another day to the trek, but is really recommended for the beauty and history of this ancient path.
GETTING TO THE STARTING POINT USING PUBLIC TRANSPORT
From Barcelona you can take the R3 line in the direction of Puigcerdà, until Ribes de Freser and, from there, you can take the Cremallera train to Núria. At A Pas d’Isard we enthusiastically recommend this option, without the hassle of parking your car and much more sustainable.